Saturday, October 11, 2008

Vinegar!?

Have I got a deal for you!

A couple months ago, I ran out of rinse agent for our dishwasher. It's so expensive, and such a small bottle! I didn't want to buy more until I had a coupon, or it went on sale, and I was hoping that those two things would coincide. Many, many weeks went by, but neither happened, and our dishes were getting a thick film build-up. No good.

So one night I went online to find a recipe for homemade rinse agent. And guess what I discovered? Several sources said to use plain white vinegar in place of rinse agent, pouring it into the rinse agent compartment. So I gave it a try. And it works! My dishes are shiny and clean now, and I'm super excited because vinegar is less than $2 a gallon! (And no, the dishes don't smell like vinegar. I don't know how the smell goes away, but I'm certain that my Chemist husband does! If you really want to know, you can ask him.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Thanks for the tip! I was about to need more rinse agent, but I will try your idea first. Hope you are all well :) The Blumenshines

Anna said...

Vinegar and baking soda under a funnel makes a fabulous exploding volcano for your kids. That is the extent of my chemistry knowledge.

Amy said...

Thank you!! I love tips like this!