Friday, February 11, 2011

My Soup Kitchen

We’ve had such cold weather here the past few weeks! Last week, 4 days of school were cancelled because of the icy roads. And this week, 2 days were cancelled. So the kids and I have spent lots of time indoors, with short bursts of time out in the cold.

This cold weather makes me want to eat soup. All day! So I’ve made soup fairly frequently, I suppose. (Though not as often as I’d like!) What could be better than soup? It really is a perfect meal! Delicious. Cost-effective. Warm. Who wouldn’t like all of that?

Maybe Truman. Yesterday, as I was preparing dinner, he came in the kitchen and asked, “Mommy, what is this food called?”

“Chicken enchiladas.”

“Oh. Does it have soup in it?”

“No, no soup is in chicken enchiladas.”

“Oh! Yipppeeee! Yaaayy! I don’t yike that soup!!”

Well, for those of you who agree with me, and not with Truman, I want to share a couple of my favorite soup recipes with you…

Tuscan Soup (this recipe is like Olive Garden’s “Zuppa Toscana”, but much better in my opinion!)

  • 8 cups chicken broth
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 5 links spicy Italian sausage
  • 4-5 large potatoes, cubed
  • 1 bunch fresh spinach, washed and chopped
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Remove skin from sausage and crumble into large pot or Dutch oven. Add chopped onion and minced garlic, and cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink.
  2. Add stock and potatoes. Boil until potatoes are cooked.
  3. Add spinach. Continue boiling until spinach is lightly cooked.
  4. Remove soup from heat, stir in evaporated milk, and season to taste.

Winter Lentil Soup (From Real Simple— this is my favorite healthy soup! It’s so colorful and delicious!)

Hands-on time: 20-30 minutes/ Total time: ~1 hour/ Makes 6 servings

  • 4 leeks, white and green parts only (or use onions)
  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 Tbsp vinegar
  • 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
  • ½ cup brown lentils
  • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 tsp kosher salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 12 fresh basil leaves (optional)
  • Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions:

  1. Slice each leek in half lengthwise, then slice each half into ¼-inch-thick half-moons (about 2 cups). Place in a large bowl of cold water and swish to remove any grit. Drain and pat dry.
  2. Remove the stems and wash kale. Stack the leaves on top of one another and slice them crosswise into ½-inch-wide strips; you’ll need 3 cups.
  3. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for 3 minutes.
  4. Add the tomatoes and cook, breaking them up with a spoon, for 5 minutes.
  5. Add the water and vinegar; bring to a boil. Stir in the kale, sweet potatoes, lentils, thyme, salt, pepper and basil (if using). Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30-45 minutes.
  6. Spoon into individual bowls. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

ileen said...

Jenny, the lentile soup sounds wonderful--I am going to make it. I just read the value of eating kale!!! Hope you are all doing well.