Friday, February 6, 2009

Silence Isn't Golden

Silence isn't golden.
"So what is it?" you may ask.

Silence is:
-The kitchen floor covered in puddles of water (that overflow onto the carpet of surrounding rooms), from the countless trips John has made to the fridge water dispenser.

-Crayon drawings on the walls, couches or tables.

-Pages ripped out of favorite books.

-Tissues shredded into hundreds of pieces, and strewn about.

-Makeup on faces.

-All of the CDs emptied out of our CD case and onto the floor.

-Hiding out and eating chocolate candy in secret places.

-Me wondering if someone fell head-first off of our swingset, or into our little backyard pond.


Definitely not "golden". But as much as I sometimes long for a few minutes of silence, I also realize that when things are not silent, I'm aware of where my kids are, and what they're doing. And more importantly, I'm aware that I'm surrounded by life.

I love this time. I love that my kids are here, and we get to spend so much precious time together. I love their noise (and their silence-- which usually equals mischief), because all of these things are signs of life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very well I relate. I really hope that your carpet didn't have to be pulled up. In my house silence means Jane is filling her plastic teacup from the toilet and drinking it.

Amy said...

This is beautiful! I love it. And I have to know...is it YOU eating chocolate in secret places? (If so, I can relate. If not...I never said that.)

voranclan said...

I remember those times as if they were yesterday.As the kids have gotten older the silence is them reading a book or playing a game or watching something, and every now and then it's mischief too. The time goes so fast, and I'm glad to see you enjoying it all. What precious memories!

faith said...

this is hilarious!