Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sweet Decisions

It’s been a while since I’ve done any creative baking. I’ve made some cookies. And a few regular cakes. Nothing is wrong with that, by any means. But I’m in the mood for a creative baking episode. (Well, I guess I made that Empty Tomb Cake recently. But that doesn’t count. I don’t know why, but it just doesn’t.)

Lucky me, Brad has some kind of “Science People” event coming up on Friday evening. The perfect time for me to try something new! So I’m looking for inspiration.

This morning I called my Dad, looking for inspiration. You have to know my Dad… he loves Carrot Cake. (I do, too, but I’m just not as much in the mood for making that.) BUT HE LOVES CARROT CAKE. So I had to plan my conversation before I called.

I asked him, “Dad, if you had to choose some kind of cake besides Carrot Cake, what would you choose?” His response: “There is no other woman besides your Mother, and there is no other cake besides Carrot Cake… I know you’re looking for a gap in my armor, but it’s not there… You shouldn’t even talk of  such things as making a different kind of cake.”

So I tried from a different angle. “Dad, if you were stranded on a desert island, and the only kind of food available was cake, but the ingredients for Carrot Cake weren’t there, which kind of cake would you choose?” His response: “I’d strap all the coconuts together to make a raft, and put out to sea. There’s no reason in trying to live without Carrot Cake.”

Since I couldn’t get anywhere with him, I’m hoping to get some inspiration from the few of you that read my blog. If you usually read, but don’t usually comment, let this be the time you comment! What should I do? Specialty cookies? Unique cupcakes? A fancy cake? And what flavors? I’m looking for your opinions! :)

11 comments:

M & M said...

My all time favorite cake is a variation of a Pampered Chef recipe (if you wanted to make more from scratch you could) and so it is rather easy and looks fantastic and tastes so delicious! It is a pound cake torte (sort of), with a cream cheese/ whipped topping layer and strawberry jam etc...Topped by strawberries and kiwi. Let me know if you want the recipe. Yum! Everyone I know I have made it for has enjoyed it.
(and made by you, it would have to be even more beautiful!)

Amy said...

Here's the link to the blog of a friend of mine: http://deliciouslyorganic.blogspot.com/ If you scroll down a little, there's an apple something cake that sounds absolutely delicious. Carrie uses only organic, unprocessed ingredients, so her recipes would probably require a trip to the Green Market, but since when is that so bad? :) Let us know what you end up making!

Anonymous said...

okay, since you're having science people over, how about doing mini chocolate lava cakes? :) i've heard they're pretty easy to make and they have yummy gooey chocolate in the middle. i know chocolate isn't your favorite though. :)

i just made a double layer coconut cake that always gets rave reviews and it's easy too! hope you come up with something.
love ya!
~cindy

robin cornett said...

The latest issue of Cook's Illustrated had a recipe for uber rich chocolate cupcakes, complete with a chocolate ganache filling. We made them for Caroline's birthday and they were gooooood. Although I confess I like a little bit more sugar kick in my frosting. Mine were really messy because I'm not skilled with frosting.

Debra in Houston said...

OK...I have to agree with your dad because it's my favorite too! The best one ever is the southern living one: http://find.myrecipes.com/food/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=426338

It's the buttermilk glaze that makes it so good!

Check out www.bakerella.com too, she does amazing things! I've made her peanut butter cup cake and it was a hit! The chocolate chip cookie dough brownies were a hit at our Christmas party this year...and they are soo easy!

www.thepioneerwoman.com has awesome things as well...her best sheet cake ever is amazing and is a true from scratch delight to make (and to serve with ice cream!)!

Debra

Adam Pratt said...

Lots of options come to mind, but my new favorite is Mojito Caketails. It's hard to describe, but they're pretty easy to make, very fresh tasting, and unique. Details at: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/Recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-index/dessert-recipes/Frozen-Mojito-Cake-tails

Abby said...

If you were stranded on an island and there was only mayonaise to eat, what would you do??? Your Dad said it would happen to both of us one day, do you have a plan? There is only one condiment and it is mustard! I love Fuqua humor!!! I love you!

Josh said...

Oh Jenny that made me laugh. It's too early to laugh, but here I am laughing. To me, the only cake is chocolate. All others are wasted calories.

Miss you!

Josh

Tyne said...

Hey Jenny, I was not a fan of cake at all, until this came along. Coca-Cola Cake, at the bottom of this post.
http://tynerbock.blogspot.com/2010/02/when-snow-storms-come.html

Meredith said...

I haven't made these, but they look unique and tasty. I am glad you have gotten so many good ideas.
http://cookingtailz.blogspot.com/2010/04/mmmm-cupcakes.html

ileen said...

Jenny, it was good to see you on my blog! ;-) your creative projects are edible!!! yeah! If you want a challenge---do a baked alaska. I have a recipe that I made about 10 years ago and it was fabulous! You make a 9" round brownie cake, mix chy pie filling with vanilla ice cream and freeze in a deep bowl that can invert ontop of the brownie and then cover it all with meringue and bake at 450 until the meringue is set up. I can email the recipe if you want--I took photos, etc. Your science ppl should be impressed with baking icecream! ;-)